Scholarships for Birmingham Audubon Mountain Workshop
May 5-8, 2016
Alpine Camp in Mentone, Alabama
Deadline for applications: March 20, 2016
Birmingham Audubon is pleased to offer scholarships to educators and teaching naturalists working in Alabama to attend the 38th Birmingham Audubon Mountain Workshop in Mentone, Alabama. Applications should be postmarked no later than March 20, 2016.
The Birmingham Audubon Mountain Workshop is a four-day camp focusing on the ecology and natural history of Alabama. The subject matter covers a broad range of topics including beginning and advanced bird identification, wildflowers, mammals, stream biology, insects, reptiles and amphibians, geology and fossils, canoeing, and mountain crafts, among others. Most classes are conducted in the field, and provide an opportunity for in-depth study of the subject matter. The classes are not intended to be teaching methodology courses. The 2016 workshop will be held at Alpine Camp in Mentone, Alabama. Check-in is Thursday afternoon by 5 p.m., May 5th, allowing teachers to miss just one day of school. Scholarship includes the cost of a sub for Friday, May 6th. The workshop ends at noon on Sunday, May 8th. Please note that Sunday, May 8th, is Mother’s Day.
The scholarship covers the entire cost of tuition, all meals and pay for teacher sub for Friday, provided all requirements of the scholarship recipient are fulfilled. See requirements below:
** Requirements for Scholarship Recipients **
- Scholarship recipient must submit a placeholder check payable to the Audubon Mountain Workshop in the amount of $200.00. This check will be returned if all requirements of recipient are fulfilled.
- Scholarship recipient must attend entire workshop (Thursday 5 p.m. – Sunday noon). Note that Sunday is Mother’s Day. Failure to attend entire workshop will result in forfeiture of 50% of the placeholder fee.
- Scholarship recipients must act as a teacher assistant for one, three-hour session of the Young Naturalist program at Birmingham Audubon Mountain Workshop.
- Scholarship recipients must participate in a minimum of four sessions of instruction, one night program, and one early morning bird walk.
- Scholarship recipients must complete a survey at the completion of the workshop.
To learn more, visit the BAS Mtn. Workshop page.