Educator Scholarships for Birmingham Audubon Mountain Workshop
May 11–14, 2017
Alpine Camp, Mentone, Alabama
Deadline for applications: Rolling (early applications stand the best chance!)
Birmingham Audubon is pleased to offer scholarships to educators and teaching naturalists working in Alabama to attend the 40th-annual Birmingham Audubon Mountain Workshop in Mentone, Alabama.
The Birmingham Audubon Mountain Workshop is a four-day camp focusing on the ecology and natural history of Alabama. The subject matter covers a broad range of topics including beginning and advanced bird identification, wildflowers, mammals, stream biology, insects, reptiles and amphibians, geology and fossils, canoeing, and mountain crafts, among others. Most classes are conducted in the field, and provide an opportunity for in-depth study of the subject matter. The classes are not intended to be teaching methodology courses. The 2017 workshop will be held at Alpine Camp in Mentone, Alabama. Check-in is Thursday afternoon by 5 p.m., May 11th, allowing teachers to miss just one day of school. The workshop ends at noon on Sunday, May 14th. (Please note that that last day is Mother’s Day.)
The scholarship covers the entire cost of tuition, lodging, and meals at the camp, provided all requirements for the scholarship are fulfilled:
** Requirements for Scholarship Recipients **
- Scholarship recipient must submit a placeholder check payable to the Birmingham Audubon Mountain Workshop in the amount of $200.00. This check will be returned if all requirements of recipient are fulfilled.
- Scholarship recipient must attend entire workshop (Thursday, 5 p.m.–Sunday, noon). Note that Sunday is Mother’s Day. Failure to attend entire workshop will result in forfeiture of 50% of the placeholder fee.
- Scholarship recipients must act as a teaching assistant for one, three-hour session of the Young Naturalist program at Birmingham Audubon Mountain Workshop.
- Scholarship recipients must participate in a minimum of four sessions of instruction, one night program, and one early morning bird walk.
- Scholarship recipients must complete a survey at the completion of the workshop.
Download the scholarship application here.
To learn more about the workshop, visit the BAMW page.